Taco Soup – a perfect Sukkot meal
As the weather has gotten colder, like all of us, I’m making soups more often. And lately I’ve been obsessing over this Taco Soup! I got the recipe inspiration from Mayra Wendolyne of @low.carb.love on Instagram.
Once you make this soup, you’ll be craving it for a while, trust me. 😉 Not only is it delicious and super easy but it’s a super-filling meal with the boost of protein from the Beyond Meat.
If you don’t feel like lugging out your big soup pot, make it in your instant pot! Or, add all the ingredients to your slow cooker in the morning, set it on low for 7-8 hours (or high for 4-6 hours).
Not only is this a great addition to your soup rotation, but it’s perfect for the last days of Sukkot. Of course, if you’re making a meat meal, use parve cream cheese! If you do, just be aware that the soup will look like it’s separating, but just be patient, once it’s done cooking, stir it well and it’ll stay nice and creamy.
This soup also reheats nicely, and the endless toppings make it so fun for a taco soup bar!
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- Olive oil
- 1 16 oz. Package of Beyond Meat or Impossible Burger
- 2-3 Celery stalks, chopped
- 1 Small white onion, chopped
- 2 Bell peppers (any color), chopped
- 2-3 Carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 Can Rotel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies Use any variety - either mild or spicy
- 16 oz Vegetable Broth I like the Imagine Soup brand, the low sodium - just eyeball about half the container (which is a total of 32 oz.)
- 2 cups Water
- 1 8 oz. Block of Cream Cheese Or use parve cream cheese if making a fleishig meal
- Taco Seasoning
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese or Parve
- Sour Cream Or parve
- Sliced Avocado
- Pickled Jalapeno slices Optional
- Handful of cilantro, chopped Optional
- Tortilla chips You can use tortilla strips, or crush regular tortilla chips, or just add them whole.
- 1 Lime, cut into wedges
In a medium soup pot, heat up a drizzle of olive oil and add the garlic on medium heat for about 1 minute (be careful not to burn the garlic - it happens fast, so keep an eye on it)
Add the onion, carrot, bell peppers and celery, season with salt and pepper and sauté for about 6-7 minutes until the veggies are soft
Add in the Beyond Meat and break use a wooden spoon to break up the meat into smaller pieces. Season again with salt and pepper and cumin.
Pour in the can of Rotel canned tomatoes, veggie stock and 2 cups of water (here's a trick - after adding the Rotel, fill the can up with water and add that to the pot - it's exactly 16 oz. which equals 2 cups. I love using this method because it's one less thing to wash, plus you get the extra flavor bits in the can of the Rotel!)
Taste the soup at this point and add in any additional salt, pepper or cumin. I added about a 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of cumin
Add the block of cream cheese, either regular or parve and let the soup simmer on high with the lid on, for about 15-20 minutes
Ladle into bowls and add your toppings! Enjoy!