For this recipe, I broke out the spiralizer. Yes, I joined the bandwagon last year and bought a hefty one to use for this recipe (I have the Brieftons Tri-Blade Spiralizer in bright green).
So, even though summer is sadly gone, why not make use of those last summer veggies that have been sitting in your crisper! This recipe is SO easy, takes very little cook time and really takes only a few minutes to put together – I promise!
Zucchini Pappardelle with Mushroom Coconut Cream Sauce
Course: Main Dish
Servings: 2 people
- 2 Medium Zucchinis Skin removed and peeled into long ribbon-liked strips using a vegetable peeler
- 1/4 Cup red onion, thinly sliced Tip: If you rinse the onion under cold water, it removes the sharpness
- 1 Cup Mushrooms Use whatever you like - cremini, button, porcini, oyster, etc - anything works in this dish!
- 1/2 Cup Tomatoes, roughly chopped Again, use whatever you like - ideally you should use whatever is in season, around peak of summer time. I used a mixture of heirloom tomatoes in all different colors!
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt, to taste Adjust seasonings as needed
- 1/2 Tsp. Pepper, to taste Adjust seasonings as needed
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Cream Here's a great trick - take a can of full fat coconut milk, turn it upside down and place in the fridge for a few hours. Once it's cold, carefully open the top and scoop out the cream, saving the coconut water for another use
- 2 Cloves Garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Handful Fresh basil, roughly torn
- 4 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin olive oil
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, saute the onions, garlic and mushrooms in 1 tbsp of olive oil for 5 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper (be careful not to over-salt your zucchini, otherwise it'll get mushy really quick).
Add the coconut cream, nutritional yeast and tomatoes.
Add the peeled zucchini ribbons to the pan and cook for another 3 minutes until the zucchini is slightly cooked but still "al-dente" (it should have a bite to it, not mushy).
Sprinkle fresh basil and serve!
Fried Mozzarella Stuffed Zucchini Bites - Meat Your Vegetables
[…] Let me know in the comments how you liked the recipe. Also, here is a link to Rachel’s recipe, let me know which you like better: Zucchini Pappardelle with Mushroom Coconut Cream Sauce […]